Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Update 4 (April – May)

My Easter break was wonderful. It's easy to melt into such a monotonous routine here that thoughts of friends and family become pushed aside. At the end of my week at home I categorically did not want to return to Pisa. Needs are such. So, I am back.

Exam season has well and truly descended over my small city this month, there is a hive of activity in the libraries and piazzas. Italian students seem so flippant, everything is relaxed and slow. Adapting my brain back into a study-focused pattern is no easy feat.

This week consists of all the revision for more exams than I feel are possible, given my capabilities. There would be one less but due to problems of the previous term one of my modules has been carried over. This does not fill me with enthusiasm.

So the next two months will consist of further revision. The likes of which I don't think I have ever subjugated my brain to before (given the ungodly amount of work I have done throughout my educational career up to this point, I feel this speaks volumes).

Exams which I have yet to take are: Linguistica Generale, Storia del costume e della moda, filologia medievale e umanistica and filosofia morale.

I'll keep you updated on this situation as, even writing this, I'm starting to feel ever so slightly ill.

I have recently discovered Carl James's Errors in Language learning and use, which has been informative to no end when thinking retrospectively to my own progression. In his text extensive elaboration is made into the description, definition and levels of error one makes when attempting to learn a language. Of paramount importance is the chapter 'Diagnosing' and 'Correcting'errors which was insightful, through the correction chapter in this text I have learnt: effective correction should aim to improve accuracy and it should achieve this in a staggered manner. It's of no use to me just to realize I am making an error. Or further, to realize my error, revise it and then avoid using that certain word/phrase/rule.
Two-stage correction theories have proved most useful to my language progression, and through these theories I have taken to assessing my own errors thusly:

  1. Noticing my error (The composition stage): Paying close attention to my language use, specifically grammatical elements.
  2. Reconstruction: Taking my flawed construction and focusing on the 'wrong' element in isolation. I try to notice patterns in my errors. If I can understand why this error has occurred, I can work solely on attempting to understand the original rule better.
  3. Repetition and naturalization: This stage blends Rubin's theories with the ones from James text, I attempt to revise my error constantly until I no longer find myself making it. Practice, practice, practice!
So far this technique has been useful. Some grammatical errors that I have been frequently making are cropping up in my speech less and less. Although the amount of time that I spend speaking Itailan is something that I need to dedicated more thought to as over the last few months it has become lesser and lesser.


No comments:

Post a Comment